Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Who says the blues are bad?

Jenny will kill me if I don't at least mention that I bought her golf clubs for our anniversary/her birthday. She loves her clubs very much and here is a picture of them...








Next order of business, as an electrician I'm always amazed how carpenters can take a pile of lumber and nails and make it into something functional and (in the cases of good carpenters) something that looks good. I know that everyone reading this is familiar with the work of one of those good carpenters: my dad. I'm constantly in awe of his skill as a carpenter and I wish that I could extract the finished product that he does from an unassuming pile of wood and metal. Case in point: Jenny needed some storage cubbies for her new classroom. Someplace that her kids could store pencil boxes, crayons, and binders. She asked dad if he could throw something together that she could paint and use. The weekend after the party we arrived at the DSCB shop (thank you Dave for the use of the shop and materials). In the span of 3 hours dad put together these. . .











Jenny painted them and put the animals on the sides (for the children), but dad designed and built them with minimal help from Jenny and I. I know he acts like it's no big deal, but my dad is truly an excellent carpenter. (I wanted to add that I will have the best cubbies in the entire school!!! I could not be more pleased with the outcome! They are perfect!!!)



Final order of business, since dad gave you a play by play of the Magic City Blues Festival, I thought I'd make a CD of the bands that we saw there. These are just the bands that we watched for more than one song, so there are only 4 on there, but I tried to pick songs that they played there. If anybody wants the CD, just let me know and I'll send you a copy.



1. Aberdeen (The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band)

2. Biminy (Hello Dave)

3. My Name Is Hurricane (Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers)

4. Run-Around (Blues Traveler)

5. Michigan (Hello Dave)

6. Zydeco Two Step (Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers)

7. The Mountains Win Again (Blues Traveler)

8. Boom Chank (The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band)

9. Thinking of You (Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers)

10. Summertime (Hello Dave)

11. But Anyway (Blues Traveler)

12. Where'd My Baby Go (Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers)

13. My Old Man Boogie (The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band)

14. Saturnalia (Hello Dave)

15. Hook (Blues Traveler)

7 comments:

Moody Family said...

Rock On!!! Cool clubs, awesome cubbies, and you know everyone loves music. Take care........

petecobb99 said...

i want one...
and, thanks...

Zack and Jenny said...

Dad, your copy is already made, you were first on the list.

gardenboy said...

well hell I hate to not be included...fire one up for me.

pedalbike said...

How lucky am I that your dad decided to come work for Dave right as I had arm wrestled him (Dave) into getting a house large enough for our family (5 people in a 2-bedroom 900sq ft house is a wee bit tight)?! Gary is an amazing carpenter... and just damn fun to have on the job. But Zach, don't short change yourself - almost all of our lights come on and off with the switches! HA!

Moody Family said...

We would like a copy too... Please.

petecobb99 said...

the cd, by the way, is great!